Man Ray - Photography

  Born in 1890, Man Ray an American artist who predominantly lived in Paris during his career was a visual Artist who  most famous photographs combined non-traditional photographic techniques with surrealist principles. As a result, he created images that bridge the line between photographs, which were seen as realistic or truthful and very dreamlike.

For example, in “Observatory Time: The Lovers,” or as its more famously known - "the lips" he utilizes a technique that combines his own painting with a photograph of his lover, Lee Miller.




This image is beautiful - the way the figure mimics the painting above her and the fact it has no logic or sense - very surreal! this is 

What I am Most interested in however, is Man-Rays Rayographs. They are created placing objects onto photo sensitive paper and exposing it to light. 




I had a go myself also :) my own experiments to follow. In a future post.

I think I respond to this way of image making because it takes me bath to when I first started my Scabography. And the simple placing objects on the scanner surface with no intent other than to see what It produces. I  tihnk with a rayograph it just allows and feeds playing and curiosity. Man Ray obvisouly had this excitement too. 

Keep tuned in to see my own "Hambonographs" 😉


Comments

Popular Posts