Louise Bourgeois Exhibition

OH MY GOD!!!! I decided to nip to the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art after my much needed infusion yesterday as it is only 5mins from the hospital, and I'm soooooo glad I did! I left the exhibition feeling totally inspired and oddly enough so was my mother! We decided we would go round the exhibition without reading anything about the work, make our judgements on then and discuss over lunch then go round again and see the names of each piece and any info available. This was mums idea and I'm so glad we did it this way because it gave us a more personal initial connection to a piece of her work. I loved seeing her spiral works, when I had really bad insomnia I would draw a little squiggle and build it up and up and up until it switched my brain off. I'd fill large pieces of paper with these spiral type drawings! The first thing my mum said when we saw these was "oh you used to do that too!" :D My mums reaction some of Bourgeois' work was quite interesting I thought. She was fascinated by her works that were sewn and told me all the different techniques she used (this shocked me because I never knew my mother knew so much on the subject) but she was blown over by the knitted sculptures! Saying things like "I'm going to create something like this It looks great!" Her reaction to images about being pregnant/child/ giving birth apparently she found really interesting but she wouldn't tell me why, just that she could relate to them, which unsettled me a bit after I looked into what they were about. She is quite a private person. And MY favourite ones were a series called "A l'infini" I loved the size of them and the use of text which I didn't notice at first, and the colours and the figures! I must have spent the good part of half an hour in that room! It gave me so many ideas for my FMP!! I'm so excited!! :D

Comments

  1. Great reading this and the idea of looking without reading etc... and brilliant re your Mother's reaction - sounds like it was so worthwhile on a number of levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really really was! im so excited and have what seems like a book full of notes to transfere into my sketchbooks. I really needed this to get me back on track i think :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts