ideas flowing

just a quick update on my post day before yesterday, I'm starting to really find this blog a great way of keeping ideas fresh in my mind, as I lose them so easily! Today I am in Dundee, and yesterday we (myself and Greg) nipped into the McManus to have a little nosey at what was new and to also escape from the torrential rain we were caught in! The new was mostly a collection of photographs, by various photographers. I wasn't really expecting to get any inspiration, (I guess thats when I happens though) but I was really drawn to a series of nine photographs, by Wendy McMurdo. I could only find one image from the series online to show you, on the McManus website, and unfortunately its in black and white when in actual fact the dots are a really striking red.
It reminded me alot of my work with the scanner and Greg agreed that it could be something I could bring to my work, my first thought was painting, adding paint to my photographs, which I will try! but Greg said it looked more like the artist had put two images together, he said why don't you try, instead of adding the stuff to the scanner screen then taking the image, why don't I try digitally layering them. I was slightly skeptical as it sounded hard, but he pointed out it isn't any harder than I am doing now with my images! so i'm excited! unfortunatly my chioce of image to layer is a difficult one... I decided I wanted water on the screen! he pointed out this would be difficult to keep the water transparent and still have my image under neath clear, but iv decided to accept that challenge! so i woke up this morning, and (using his scanner, not my trusted one) took some images of water on the screen, here my favorite one
and i'm going to see if i can layer it over the last image I created of myself. this is all done while Greg is at work because if he was here he would maybe go crazy at the water everywhere and also that I was "doing it wrong" hehe! so here goes! I have to wait until I get home to try it because his PC is so damn fancy I have no idea how to open Photoshop on it! better clean this mess up now! i will update you tonight on how it goes! Also here is the information that the Mcmanus gave me on the series of images that i found so inspiring... Wendy McMurdo Born Edinburgh, 1962 Hand Painted - Nine Altered Images of the Painted Foot, 1989 Photograph installation Scottish Arts Council Collection Bequest, 1998 Museum number 1998-55 This work contains nine appropriated images of a decorated foot. Originally photographs taken as part of an anthropological study, these images have been re-defined and re-assembled in a way intended to draw attention to the frailty of the original intent of the photographic image. The work also challenges the notion of the traditional boundaries of fine art photography.

Comments

Popular Posts