FMP planning

Ok so after a talk with my tutor I am feeling pretty excited an ready to get moving on my Final Major Project sketchbook, particularly the experiments! I have a lot of them in my head already! Iv made a slight start because after seeing the Louise Bourgeois exhibition i was feeling pretty ready to go and was quite inspired by the small secions text in some of her work (which I spoke about previously) Its funny but it wasn't the actual text that first spoke to me but the little scratchy marks of her words - the actual mark making really appealed to me! So then I thought about how I could bring some of this scratchy rough marks into my photography and i thought of two ways! The first was an additive to the scanner screen to create this scratchy delicate feeling of writing, i thought thread or scratched clear plastic? These are things i will hav to try out! Then I thought actually scratching into the photograph... This brought on a chain of thoughts, marking the image of my body permanently, once the mark has been created it cant be fixed! This has a kind of symbolic aspect to it as that's what is happening inside me! This prompted me to look at others who use this scratching technique! And of course i looked at Ernest j Bellocq but that was a little different as he used the negatives of his photos... and then i came across Dryden Goodwin. It was particularly these photos that appealed to me because of the delicate scratches and lines he has created on the photographs.
These are just so beautiful, fine hair like lines! I want to try! Unfortunatly the only thing holding me back is my fear of making a mistake or just messing it up and ruining it! Also my lines are not the strongest in the world so first I started doing really quick sketches in fine liner of my cat, just to strengthen my line and to force myself to be more confident with making them! (Strange that a drawing excersize is helping with my Photography!) so here are a few iv done
Some I did with just one continuous line, the others just normally, I did think it helped because I knew it was just a silly little sketch so I didnt feel any pressure to get it right and I think that made me relax a bit and just let the line flow, which was nice because I have a bad habit of lifting my pen often which leaves a hairy line (which you can see the evidence of in some bits) anyway, im excited for this little experiment to see how it turns out :) stay tuned because im doing this tomorrow so i may get a good shot at it and so i will post anything I do :)

Comments

Popular Posts