Jan Svankmajer

Jan Svankmajer, a czech film maker known for his unconventional mixed media stop motion animaed films has been a fantastic inspiration to my own work. After discovering Svankmajers films last years I was instantly sucked in and had to find and watch as many of them i could! My College showed us  "Down in the cellar" 1983






 Insects were being shown at my closed film festival, Alchemy film festival, but I just could not get any tickets to see it as it sold out so quickly (I was gutted to say the least as i had heard on the grape vine it was meant to be a fantastic piece that evoked the duality between bugs and humans) but that didn't put me off finding more myself and now feeling like I have been able to see a fair number of his films - the obscurely curious and sometimes nightmarish films made me want to be able to make these type of surreal child like imagination moving images! I love the exploration of the limbo between enticing and unsettling.

It was a slow burner, just always in the back of my mind for a year or so but never coming to any sort of fruition in my own work until our  Personal Project came along, with the complete freedom to explore any type of media I wish to. I decided on film. and in particular Stop motion!

I loved Svankmajer's animations featuring clay heads and body parts! these were stop motion, where the film is made up for lots and lots of photographs, or frames, to give the idea of movement between each frame. like a flip book!


Every time I feel a bit lost with my work I just have a little look at one of his films and I'm suddenly raring to go again!

Comments

Popular Posts