Raqib Shaw

On the day I went to the Gallery of Modern Art I also went to visit the Raqib Shaw exhibition. We had just watched a documentary on the artist in class and I'd never heard of him before then. I thought he was fantastic! His work looked so out extravagant and OTT (just like himself) I just thought he was great! Anyway days passed and we decided to visit it.

Nothing prepared me for seeing these paintings!

They were so...Luxurious, is the only word I can use! The painting were huge! And jam packed with detail and meaning! I sat and looked at this painting for 45 minutes. Not sketching, not chatting, not on my phone, just looking.


Now this photo doesn't do the painting justice. First of all it is huge! And as it has been painted with enamel paint then polished to within an inch of its life it has a gleam to it that could blind you! It's just breath taking. The more you look the more you see. There is something in every section of this painting. It had the grandeur of a painting that could be found in a palace. It just oozes wealth to me! Which I find so interesting after what I had learned from the documentary and class discussion and reading the blurb on him at the gallery.
He isn't someone I can relate to nore do I wish to create work similar to his but he just blew me away. A fasanating man and artist! I thoroughly enjoyed seeing his work.

Comments

Popular Posts