catch up!

day one newpaper was looking at the article in the Scotsman on Monday about the boy with the Brain tumor and why his parents took him form the British Hospital and took him to Spain. I chose this article for the simple reason it grabbed my attention instantly... but in the fear of being wrong I did keep my options open by slightly exploring other articles including one that stated the elderly wanting a longer time on the green man at crossings, and another saying people are becoming addicted to there mobile phones. I had some good ideas with these but they didn't grab my interest like the Spain article! So I stared by brain storming my ideas, which instantly went to the idea of the perents " clutching at straws" to try and save their son. that led me onto thinking about where that saying came from, which is when a drowning man is grasping at the "straws" at the river bank. that got me thinking about the word straws, and how I could use this. Drinking Straws! I then started messing around with drinking straws (I had a packet in my cupboard different colours) and make a very simple Spanish flag. I liked this so then I thought if i had hundreds I could make Spain in the colours of the flag! but I didnt have very many so I sketched this idea out in my sketchbook...
my flag had the straws lying flat of the floor, so if I could have made this I wanted the straws to be upright. this would give the peice some depth.... that then got me thinking about sculpture... So then I wen back to the article and decided that I wanted to show some kind of medical reference to it... so I looked up if spain had a different medical symbol, but I found they use the smbol featuring the winged staff with two snakes wrapped around, I had my heart set on making this from straws but it proved harder than I anticipated, and \I ran out of time as the project only allows one day.... not bad for my first go, and I figured the project was about the development of ideas quickly and stated not to worry about an actual final piece too much. then tuesday I was rather il and had to stay home, so I found it difficult to get my ideas flowing.... that was a failed day Wednesday I made my diseased apple, (see earlier posts) Everything came together on Wednesday! Being shown where the library is made a massive difference!

Comments

Popular Posts