James Ensor

The work of James Ensor has been in the back of my mind since my second year of study. 
He was named as an artist who may be of interest to me by my tutor and has always remained in the back of my mind. The reason he is surfacing in this unit is because of his use of masks in his paintings. 

His mother owned a souvenir shop that sold paper mache masks and post cards of the old carnivals and festivals in Belgium and his studio was in the attic so I assume at the starg would have just been the subject matter he had around him, but later it became a expression of his political views on the soitiety at the time.

Death and the Masks (1897)

By: James Ensor

Ensor works with a light, bright palette that suggests whimsy and absurdity at the same time, a rough and textural application of paint, which to me, give a sense of uncomfortable, uneasiness.... Malaise perhaps. 
I love this! the bright circus like pallet and the heavy paint do create an unsettled feeling for the viewer without being able to immediately identify where it's from. This is definitely something I will explore further in my sketchbook! 






Comments

Popular Posts