Generations

Went to the Generations exhibition at the Gallery of Modern Art in Edinburgh... It's fantastic! I'm not even going to talk about all that's there, just go see! But the one I thought was absolutely fantastic was by Smith/Stewart - Breathing Space. So disturbingly intriguing, particularly when you can hear loud crackling and labored breathing from the corridor, you just have to go in! I was quite taken aback by not only the film, but my reaction that stayed with me they whole journey home! I love when you see a piece of work that you just can't get out of your head and it got me so excited for starting the year!
It featured two men from the shoulders up, on separate screens, with plastic bags over their heads and the sound of their struggling breaths filling the room. It was so overpowering and a bit scary! "Don't put plastic bags over your head!!" your always told as a child... It took me a few times going in and out before I could stand in the empty room on my own. its quite uncomfortable. or I found it to be. I cant stop thinking about to so I had to find out more about the artists! This is what I'm doing now... There is so much to see at the Gallery, and seeing so many Scottish artists under one roof is so inspirational. I wont say anymore just - go go GO!

Comments

Popular Posts