For Sale

Having my work up in the Hawick gallery was a such an exciting time for me, and being told it was seen by around 1400 folk is even better!! The only part that got me thinking and obsessing like i do was when i was asked if my piece of work was for sale. This took me by surprise because, suprisingly, I hadn't even thought about it. Not only had I to think if my Goya inspired peice was for sale, but also how much if so! This was something college had not prepared me for, and it left me with a strangely person battle I had not expected. Was I happy to have a stranger own a piece of work that is so painfully personal to myself? And was i happy for them to know nothing of what it meant? The answer was no. But could I use the money? could I use the space it would take up in my little flat? Do I want to start the beginning of getting my work "out there"? Yes. But it just felt like someone would have a piece of ME. A piece of my journey that is still so raw and undefined. what could be a small insignificant part of my journey into discovering who i am as an artist... who I am going to be. I seemed to me that all this work within myself becomes nothing to the buyer. Maybe if your lucky a slight understanding. But never fully. This began a few more, dugging the old scanner out and get going. I started on this-
Some old body parts, some new. i wanted a king of offering/bowing pose. unfortunetly as I went on i didnt feel that pull towards this image, I had such good thoughts for it but it just didnt seen to be working for me... but it may come in useful in the future so I will add it to my collection. Then I looked up an artist that Siobhan suggested I look up on the very last day of term. Unfortunetly her name escapes me, but I will post some of her work when I remember (damn MS shite memory!!!) Any one of her works was like mine but of an old Piano, beautiful! and that got me thinking of introducing some large objects, scanned into my work. This was harder than i thought it would be!!
This got me thinking about the idea of some random buying a piece of me they don't really understand to hang on their wall..
I scanned the wall, carpet and skirting board. I found this a nice change to do intead of stipping off and akwardly perched over the scanner.. but didn't know if I liked the hand on its own... I asked folk what they thought and the reply was " I don't really get it" which was what I was looking for! but i still wasnt 100 % happy with it. mayb the hand wasn't enough...
The frame was A4 size so could be scanned in in one go. I feel the frame finishes it off for that "homely look" and there is my hand. red- uncomfortable and out of place.

Comments

  1. You have the image on file and it could be printed as an edition - you need to learn to let go of your work especially if it makes a connection with another even if their interpretation is different to your raison d'ĂȘtre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I understand that, its hard though! maybe I will just end up as the crazy art hoarder of the borders... keeping all my work forever and it'l be found it my little flat years after I die.... :(

    I can't let that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KIRSTY! these are amazing! we must discuss! pm me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts