Fine art sketchbook

So Caitlin asked to see my fine art sketchbook from first year so I dug it out and was lookin over it. I friggin love some of my ideas in the sketchbook an dunno why I didn't take hem further, also why I hardly paint now! Well I know why that is, it's laziness... But my god the colours and the techniques are endless, so my go to medium will b paint from now on, I need to paint more! Here are some of the bits in my sketchbook. 
This was a little swatch in my sketchbook of when you use watercolour and apply cling film on EE the top, you leave it for a bit, not enough for the paint to dry completely, and the folds in the cling film will lift the paint off leaving this beautiful mark! :) I am glad I put this in my sketchbook because looking back on it reminded me of this teqnique.
I then took the clingfilm from the paint an put it over this little sample with a yellow wash over it :)

At this time I remember relapsing, and it effecting the use of my hands :( particularly my left hand.so I started to look at other was of applying pair that didn't nessisarily need a precise application of paint using a paintbrush. 
I looks at Pollocks work for inspiration and found a plastic spoon thing with a handle I could hold in my rubbish hands, I then started applying the paint in dribbles and splatters to the paper 
I ended up smudging parts with my fingers and I don't really remember why. Unfortunately, there is no annotation for this in my sketchbook. Ironic, now I know why we do it so we can look back and b reminded! :(

I did this one in water colour and it's a self portrait, I did annotate this one so I can see I was trying to portray dizziness and a general messed up and scattered head feeling. But I don't think it worked that well, so I tried some more....
The one at the bottom was an attempt of  lookin from a different view point. I put a mirrow on the table flat an looked into it. I remember doing this on because that particular day I felt so dizzy. And I wanted to show that. 

Experimenting with water marbling came next, I didn't own marbling inks at that time so I decided that glass paint would work just as well and it isn't so clear in this photo but it gives a really rigid shiny appearance. But pretty interesting anyway. 
But whe I decided this wasn't the kind of thing I was looking for I used oil paints watered down with turps, and I loved what I found! 
This kind of got me thinking of veins and cells an what wax really going on in my brain at that time, 
This turps cut away parts of the oil paint on the surface of the water. So I then roughly painted a brain shape with my fingers. It looks like there are holes in my brain. :)
That kind of got me applying the paint with my hands directly, 
I blanked out one of my eyes because I lost the vision in it. 
And then that led onto thinking back to when I was a kid and what we did, remember those painting we all did of butterflies an then you fold the paper to print the other side of the butterfly? Wel....
I loved this! It looked like a scan of my brain! Was really chuffed! 

Looking back tho I am a little disappointed in myself that when I got better I did my final peice with a brush and instead of using the folding paper technique I just painted them seperatly :( but I think I will definitely take ideas from this sketchbook if they are on here to remedied me! 

Comments

  1. Thank you! I'll have a proper look through in class tho! I think the term 'fine art' confused me because I had thought it was making things realistic/ true to life but yeah, now i know its not and I can do cool stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts