Lorna Fraser


Lorna Fraser is a contemporary Scottish Artist who graduated from Gray's School of Art in 1984.

Her Ceramic work is highly inspired by the natural world, particularly from the sculptural elements of plant life.




I decided to look at Fraser's work not only because my chosen theme is "Forrest" for our ceramics unit but also because I want to get away from the mindset of the end result of working with ceramics being a primarily funcional object. The natural world is full of beautifully natural structure and I wish to represent that by exploring a much more sculptural form which, I feel, is what Fraser achieves.

On a side note, I love the very clean, white and almost clinical appreance of these pieces. I feel it creates a beautiful juxtaposition between the naturally inspired form and this very stark modern finish.

Anyway;
I started on this mind set by looking at seeds in my sketchbook with the  idea of recreating them in a bigger scale. Focusing on tree seeds such as acorns sycamore seeds (whirly gigs) and conkers - particularly the spiky outer shell - will be a good place for me to start. I think by default my develwntal drawing and ceramics units will weave together as I am already looking at leaves and their natural patterns. This , of course, follows my chosen theme and has the room and flexibility in the idea to grow into unknown exciting areas.



Comments

Popular Posts